Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Little Things...

It's the little things in life that make me happy.  I say this a lot.  It's as simple as a smile from a complete stranger when I'm having a really bad day.  I was thinking about this post as I was patiently waiting for my husband to finish a bowl of cereal this morning.  You wouldn't think that this would require patience. It was a task that took him 1 1/2 hours (not kidding).  He kept falling asleep after he would take a bite.  At one point I walked out of the room only to walk back in a few minutes later to his face in the bowl. I couldn't convince him to just lay down and eat something later....so I patiently waited...calling his name, scratching his back....snapping my fingers..every couple of seconds to wake him up.  the difference between yesterday and today.....Night and day.  Yesterday he was having a good day because he knew I was taking him shopping (It's almost like a shot of adrenalin for him...like a drug).  He was dressed and ready to go before his nurse came and he kept looking out the window watching for her.  Because he knew when she left...we were going.  He was like a little kid.  He couldn't keep his thoughts straight.  I had to laugh at a lot of things he said yesterday.  (You either laugh or cry...it's all in the way you choose to view it).  His mind...memory was so out there.  But one of my favorite moments was picking up our 7 year old from school. I've said before he has issues with comprehension....So this conversation started between him and Todd...and I just sat back and listened....totally confused...and amused. It was like listening to the "Who's on first" routine... and I just smiled to myself. 

When I was growing up The little things....were simple. When I lived in Las Vegas it was walking across the street to the desert and catching lizards, riding my bike, roller skating, running around barefoot, taking a Sunday drive with my family to the Red Rocks...Ok that actually used to scare me to death sometimes if my dad drove up a steep road....but anyway you get the picture.  When we moved to New Jersey.. It was playing kickball with my neighbors... catching fireflies (I miss doing that so much), playing flashlight tag and ghosts in the graveyard in the summertime after dark, swimming, hanging out with friends....running around barefoot. (I'm aware I wrote that twice)...Playing and spending time with family were the little things.

I'm finding as I'm all grown up that the little things may have changed a little...but not really.  I still walk around outside barefoot.  I still enjoy being silly.  I still enjoy drives through the mountains taking in all the scenery.  And as a grown up I still love being outdoors in the spring, summer and part of the fall.  I love working in my yard... I love sitting on my front steps or back porch just....thinking. I love holding newborn babies, watching my children in any school activities, listening to them laugh hysterically.  Sometimes the little things are having someone hold a door open for me, paying me a compliment when I'm having a bad day.. Having diet coke left on my doorstep. Having a complete stranger who works at a convenience store change my blown out tire in the middle of a snow storm at almost midnight. (Ok that was a big thing) Sometimes I think we make life entirely too complicated.  We get hung up on having the best things in life, going on great vacations, making a lot of money.  Being stressed out because we just don't have enough money.  Ok it would be nice to be comfortable, not have to worry...but... When you spend your life constantly working towards those big things...Or worrying about not being able to have those big things....are you missing the little things?  If not...kudos. Life is a balancing act.  We have to balance the things we "have" to do to provide for our families, and the things that make us happy.  My dad worked all the time, he was absolutely able to provide for his family, and I appreciate that. I'm so thankful for the memories I do have with him, but I would have loved to have more.   I know right now the little things for my husband are simple....He just wants his kids to spend time with him which is why often you can see them all gathered on my bed watching tv or playing games. We don't always have as much time in this world as we think we do....stop and look around once in a while...take notice of the little things. Life is hard, but we don't have to be miserable. Appreciate what you have...stop worrying about what you don't. I guarantee the happiest people are the ones who have figured out how to do this.  I'm still working on it..... But I know when I take the time to stop for a minute, I remember it truly is the little things that make me happy.  ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment